FAQs and Info Sheets

Changes at the CICB

Please take note of these important changes at the CICB:

  1. Beginning October 1, 2019, the CICB will no longer accept:
    • applications for compensation
    • requests for review hearings
    • applications to vary an order for compensation
  2. Monday, September 30, 2019 was the last day to file an application with the CICB. Applications received after 11:59 p.m. on September 30 will not be accepted.
  3. Beginning October 1, 2019, CICB decisions can no longer be appealed to the Divisional Court.
  4. Beginning October 1, 2019, individuals seeking supports and services that result from being a victim of crime can contact the Ministry of the Attorney General's Victim Quick Response Program + (VQRP+).
  5. CICB awards made on or after May 29, 2019 will be subject to a maximum lump sum payment of $30,000 and a maximum award for pain and suffering of $5,000.

FAQs | Info Sheets

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

These are some of the questions we're asked most often. For answers to other questions, see the Application and Hearing Process.

I am a victim of crime. Where can I get financial help?

The Ministry of the Attorney General's Victim Quick Response Program + (VQRP+) will help cover emergency and essential expenses, funeral and counselling costs that result from being a victim of violent crime. Call the Victim Support Line at 416-314-2447 or 1-888-579-2888, to receive contact information for the Victim Quick Response Program service provider nearest you. These organizations will help you understand the eligibility requirements, complete forms and identify local support services.

Can I appeal my decision?

CICB decisions can no longer be appealed to the Divisional Court. To learn more, read the Latest News.

I receive money every month ("periodic payments") from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board. Will I still get paid?

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Board continues to process monthly periodic payments. Applicants receiving periodic payments will be kept informed of any changes.

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Board holds money for me to pay for my treatment. How will I pay for treatment after the board closes?

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Board continues to pay invoices from treatment providers. Applicants receiving counselling and other treatment awards will be kept informed of any changes.

I have an open application with the CICB. How much money can I get?

The maximum lump sum award is $30,000. Of the $30,000, no more than $5,000 can be awarded for pain and suffering.

Do I need a lawyer?

CICB does not expect you to have a legal representative, but you can have one if you want. A legal representative could be a lawyer or paralegal. If you have a legal representative, we will communicate only with that person and not with you.

Will the person who committed the crime find out about my application?

The Board's Practice Direction on Alleged Offenders outlines how the Board engages with and notifies alleged offenders of a claim. If it is not clear to the Board, whether a crime of violence occurred, the CICB may issue a Notice of Application to a person identified in the application as responsible for the alleged crime of violence. The person you say is responsible for the violent crime is called the "alleged offender". If a court has found that person guilty of the crime he or she is called the "offender".

We will advise you if the alleged offender will be notified. If you have concerns about their participation, you must tell us as soon as possible during the application process.

If the alleged offender is notified, we will disclose documents or portions of documents that relate to the alleged crime or crimes of violence. Your personal particulars and information about your injuries/treatment and details of compensation requested are not shared with the alleged offender.

Generally, an alleged offender's participation will be by way of written submissions, however, on occasion, the Board may determine that, based on his/her submissions, an alleged offender must take part in the hearing to support proper adjudication. If this is the case, the alleged offender will communicate by phone or video conference.

The alleged offender will receive a copy of the CICB's decision.

Do I have to attend a hearing?

If your claim can be assessed based on written evidence alone, you won't need to attend a hearing. One of our adjudicators will make a decision based on the information in the file. This is called a documentary hearing. If your oral testimony is required, you will be asked to participate in an electronic hearing, that is, by phone or video conference. The adjudicators will ask questions about the incident, injuries and associated costs.

For more information about hearings, see the Application and Hearing Process.

What if I move or change my phone number after I file my application?

If you move or change your phone number, call us or fill out the Notice of Change of Address and submit it to the CICB as soon as possible. If we can't reach you by phone or mail, your application may be dismissed.

If I apply to the CICB, can I still sue the person who committed the crime?

You can still sue the offender or alleged offender a civil action. However, if you are successful in a civil action, you'll have to pay back any compensation you've received from us.

Can I receive compensation before my hearing is held?

You can ask for money before your hearing for income support, funeral expenses and/or medical/treatment expenses. This is called an interim award. We only make interim awards if you can show that you need the money urgently before your hearing. We may need to see evidence, such as police and/or medical records, which would lead us to conclude that an award will likely be made at the time of the hearing. To apply for an interim award, contact us.

What happens if I am also receiving benefits from Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or Ontario Works (OW)?

A CICB award may impact your ODSP or OW benefits. We recommend that you contact your ODSP/OW caseworker for more information. For more information, see the Information Sheet: CICB Awards, Ontario Disability Support Program and Ontario Works.

What if I need more treatment after my hearing?

As of October 1, 2019, applications to vary an order for compensation can no longer be filed with the CICB. For more information, see Latest News.

Information Sheets