Information Sheet: Representation


The OSET does not require or expect that you will be represented at a hearing. You can represent yourself or you can rely on someone to help you prepare for and participate in the appeal.

The OSET does not arrange or pay for representation for parties, nor can it order one party to pay for representation for the other party.

Questions and Answers

What is a representative?

A representative can be:

A representative is responsible for:

What is a support person?

A support person can be:

A support person:

Can the OSET exclude a representative from a hearing?

The OSET may remove a representative from a hearing if it finds that the representative:

How do parents find a representative?

Parents often find a representative through a referral from other parents or from a non-profit advocacy organization. For information on how to find a lawyer or paralegal, visit Get Legal Help.

There are many non-profit advocacy organizations that provide advice and guidance to parents on various issues related to the special needs of their children. Here a list of some of the organizations. If you know of an organization that should be added to the list, contact us.

What should I do if I get a new representative or my representative's contact information changes?

If contact information for your representative changes, notify the OSET as soon as possible. The OSET will notify the hearing panel members and the other party.

See also: Practice Direction – Representation before the Tribunal