Tribunals Ontario is expanding options to address requests for alternative hearing formats for Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) parties in Toronto who do not have access to a telephone, computer and/or the internet.
Starting February 1, LTB parties who need access to a computer and telephone terminal may be accommodated at the 15 Grosvenor Hearing Centre in Toronto. Parties who have received a Notice of Hearing and have contacted the LTB to make a request will be considered for access to the terminal. The LTB will evaluate each request on a case-by-case basis and respond to the parties with its decision to grant or deny the request. If the request is granted, the parties using the terminal will participate in their hearing electronically.
“We are committed to providing fair, equitable access to justice for all who need our services. Digital-first does not mean digital only,” said Sean Weir, Executive Chair of Tribunals Ontario. “By providing computers and a telephone at our hearing centre in Toronto, we are making it easier for parties who need this service to participate in LTB proceedings.”
Tribunals Ontario is committed to safeguarding the health and well-being of staff, and Ontarians, and has implemented safety protocols and enhanced cleaning at the 15 Grosvenor Hearing Centre. Everyone entering the hearing centre will be required to complete an on-site COVID-19 screening assessment before entry and must adhere to all safety measures inside the hearing centre. Individuals who are deemed inadmissible through the screening assessment will not be permitted entry. Front-line counter services remain closed until further notice.
Tribunals Ontario will evaluate this new pilot initiative and determine if and how it may be improved upon and expanded to other tribunals and hearing centres across the province.
Tribunals Ontario will continue to monitor COVID-19 developments and will update our practices and procedures based on advice from the Ministry of Health, Chief Medical Officer of Health, and public health officials.
- A party can bring two additional individuals into the hearing centre for the proceeding. If the party needs to bring additional individuals, they should ask the LTB before the hearing; such requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Everyone entering the hearing centre must complete a COVID-19 screening assessment and wear a face covering inside.
- The Tribunals Ontario Practice Direction on Hearing Format outlines Tribunal Ontario’s approach to determining the format of the hearing that will be held and how a party can request a different format.
- The 15 Grosvenor Street Hearing Centre in Toronto has undergone site assessments conducted by the Public Services Health and Safety Association and all recommended safety measures have been implemented to ensure the safety of staff and tribunal participants.
- Tribunals Ontario Accessibility and Accommodation Policy
- Tribunals Ontario Updated Practice Direction on Hearing Formats
Tribunals Ontario Communications
Subscribe to Tribunals Ontario’s latest news.