The Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) has posted three documents for review and comment by members of the community and its stakeholders:
- Proposed changes to the Rules of Procedure
- Proposed changes to the Guideline 6: Tenant Rights
- Proposed changes to the Guideline 12: Eviction for Personal Use, Demolition, Repairs and Conversion
The Rules of Procedure have been extensively reformatted and now use plain language. The commentary that appears under each rule has been removed. The format and language of the proposed rules is also now consistent with the Social Justice Tribunals Ontario (SJTO) Common Rules of Procedure. Some substantive changes have also been made, including:
- Allowing the use of a sworn statement instead of an affidavit (Rule 1.5)
- Allowing parties to give each other certain documents by email where they both agree (Rule 3)
- Removing the requirement that Co-operatives serve applications (Rule 12)
- Changing the rules about the payment out of money paid into the LTB’s trust account (Rules 20.3, 20.4, 20.6 and 20.8)
Guideline 6 has been expanded. It now includes discussion of all the grounds in the Application About Tenant Rights (T2). References to applicable case law have been updated and there are extensive references and links to relevant LTB orders.
We encourage you to have a look at the proposed changes and provide your comments and ideas by September 28, 2018.
Please send your submission:
By email: email@example.com
Landlord and Tenant Board
655 Bay Street, 14th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M7A 2A3
Your submission may be shared with other stakeholders and may also be available to the public.