LTB brochures provide information about:
- Rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants
- Processes at the LTB
You can read or print them here or pick up a copy at LTB offices and some ServiceOntario Centres.
If you need a brochure in print or alternate formats like large print or braille, contact us.
Brochures about the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants
- Information for New Tenants
Information about the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants, the role of the LTB and how to contact the LTB. Landlords must give this brochure to new tenants on or before the day the tenancy begins. HTML | PDF
- A Guide to the Residential Tenancies Act
A summary of key topics covered by the Residential Tenancies Act. HTML | PDF
- 2020 Rent Increase Guideline
An explanation of the rent increase guideline for 2020, and what it means for landlords and tenants.
- 2019 Rent Increase Guideline
An explanation of the rent increase guideline for 2019, and what it means for landlords and tenants.
- Automatic Rent Reductions and Tax Decreases
Rules for the automatic reduction of a tenant's rent if there is a decrease in the property taxes for the rental unit.
- Information for Landlords and Tenants about Suite Meters
Information about the rules regarding suite meters in residential rental units.
- Maintenance and Repairs
Information about the rights and responsibilities of both landlords and tenants relating to maintenance and repairs. HTML | PDF
- Mobile Home Parks and Land Lease Communities
Rules in the Residential Tenancies Act that apply to this type of rental accommodation.
- Property Left Behind When a Tenant Moves Out
Rules for disposing of property that a tenant has left behind.
- Rules for Care Homes
Rules in the Residential Tenancies Act that apply to care homes (also called rest homes or retirement homes).
- Offences under the Residential Tenancies Act (Ministry of Housing web page)
Lists offences under the RTA, how to report an offence and who to contact.
Brochures about processes at the LTB
For an overview of LTB processes, see the Application and Hearing Process.
- Amendments, Reviews and Appeals
Describes the process of amending, reviewing or appealing an order of the LTB.
- Filing an Application
Basic steps when filing an application with the LTB.
- How a Landlord Can End a Tenancy
A summary of the rules for how a landlord can end a residential tenancy and evict a tenant.
- How a Tenant Can End Their Tenancy
A summary of the rules for how a tenant can end their tenancy, including lease renewals, and assigning and subletting.
- If a Tenant Does Not Pay Rent
The rules for ending a tenancy by a landlord if a tenant fails to pay rent.
- If you are locked out of your unit – Information for Tenants
Describes what a tenant can do if they have been improperly evicted.
- Important Information about Your Hearing
Information on how to prepare for a hearing.
- Information about Applications for a Rent Increase Above the Guideline
Describes how the LTB reviews these applications.
- Motion to Set Aside an Ex Parte Order
How to request that an ex parte order be set aside.
- Rules for Representatives Involved in Board Applications
Rules for parties and representatives at the LTB.
- Requesting Information from a File
Describes how to ask the LTB for information from an application file.
- Requesting a Summons
How to request and serve a summons: a document that requires a person to attend a hearing as a witness.