LTB brochures provide information about:
- Rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants
- Processes at the LTB
You can read or print them here or pick up a copy at LTB offices and some ServiceOntario Centres.
If you need a brochure in print or alternate formats like large print or braille, contact us.
Brochures about the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants
- 2022 Rent Increase Guideline
An explanation of the rent increase guideline for 2022, and what it means for landlords and tenants.
- 2021 Rent Increase Guideline
The government has passed legislation to freeze rent at 2020 levels. The guideline rent increase for 2021 is zero per cent.
- 2020 Rent Increase Guideline
An explanation of the rent increase guideline for 2020, and what it means for landlords and tenants.
- A Guide to the Residential Tenancies Act
A summary of key topics covered by the Residential Tenancies Act. (HTML | PDF)
- Automatic Rent Reductions and Tax Decreases
Rules for the automatic reduction of a tenant's rent if there is a decrease in the property taxes for the rental unit.
- Collecting Money a Former Tenant Owes
How to apply to the LTB to collect money a tenant owes you for rent or damages after the tenant has moved out.
- How a Landlord Can End a Tenancy
A summary of the rules for how a landlord can end a residential tenancy and evict a tenant.
- How a Tenant Can End Their Tenancy
A summary of the rules for how a tenant can end their tenancy, including lease renewals, and assigning and subletting.
- If a Tenant Does Not Pay Rent
What a landlord can do when their tenant doesn’t pay rent. What a tenant can do when their landlord files an application with the LTB because they didn’t pay rent.
- If you are locked out of your unit – Information for Tenants
Describes what a tenant can do if they have been improperly evicted.
- Information for Landlords and Tenants about Suite Meters
Information about the rules regarding suite meters in residential rental units.
- Information for New Tenants
Information about the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants, the role of the LTB and how to contact the LTB. Landlords must give this brochure to new tenants on or before the day the tenancy begins. (HTML | PDF)
- Maintenance and Repairs
Information about the rights and responsibilities of both landlords and tenants relating to maintenance and repairs. (HTML | PDF)
- Mobile Home Parks and Land Lease Communities
Rules in the Residential Tenancies Act that apply to this type of rental accommodation.
- Offences under the Residential Tenancies Act
Lists offences under the RTA, how to report an offence and who to contact.
- Property Left Behind When a Tenant Moves Out
Rules for disposing of property that a tenant has left behind.
- Rules for Care Homes
Rules in the Residential Tenancies Act that apply to care homes (also called rest homes or retirement homes).
Brochures about processes at the LTB
For an overview of LTB processes, see the Application and Hearing Process.
- Amendments, Reviews and Appeals
Describes the process of amending, reviewing or appealing an order of the LTB.
- Filing an Application
Basic steps when filing an application with the LTB.
- How to Serve a Landlord or Tenant with Documents
Explains the correct timelines and methods for serving notices and applications to a landlord or tenant.
- Important Information about Your Hearing
Information on how to prepare for a hearing.
- Information about Applications for a Rent Increase Above the Guideline
How a landlord can apply to the LTB for a rent increase above the yearly guideline and how the LTB reviews these applications, including the hearing process.
- Issues a Tenant can Raise at a Hearing about a Landlord’s Application for Non-payment of Rent
Information about issues that a tenant can raise at the hearing of an application about rent arrears.
- Mediation at the LTB
Information about how the mediation process at the LTB works, the benefits, and what happens afterwards.
- Motion to Set Aside an Ex Parte Order
How to request that an ex parte order be set aside.
- Participating in a Zoom Video Hearing at the LTB
Rules, tips and information about how to best participate in an LTB Zoom video hearing.
- Requesting a Summons
How to request and serve a summons: a document that requires a person to attend a hearing as a witness.
- Requesting Information from a File
Describes how to ask the LTB for information from an application file.
- Who can be a Representative before the Landlord and Tenant Board
Information about options for representation when appearing before the LTB, including self-representation, licenced representatives and unlicensed representatives.