Landlord and Tenant Board Implementing
Tribunals Ontario Portal
The Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) is the first of Tribunals Ontario’s tribunals, boards and commissions to implement the Tribunals Ontario Portal - a new case management system that will transform how users engage with tribunals. It will streamline the dispute resolution process by allowing applications to be filed, processed, and scheduled online.
The Tribunals Ontario Portal will make it easier and faster for people to file applications, access mediation, view their case file and upload and exchange documents with other parties. Some key features and benefits of the new system will include:
- Allows users to submit L1, L2, T2 and T6 applications with simple and easy to use online forms in English and French.
- Online forms are easier to fill out and help ensure that users provide more complete information, resulting in reduced processing delays.
|Online dispute resolution and ‘Agreement Reached’ button
- When parties log on to the portal to view the application, they can send messages to each other within the system. There will also be an online communication thread to help parties keep track of their conversation.
- If parties reach a settlement, they will have an option to select “Agreement Reached” when they come to an agreement.
- Dispute Resolution Officers (DROs) will review the agreement and help parties to finalize it or refer them to an adjudicator if necessary.
- Encourages and provides a forum for parties to come to a mutually beneficial agreement.
- Faster resolution for parties if they choose to resolve the dispute.
- Parties will be encouraged to use the portal to communicate with each other and engage with a DRO when needed.
- Parties can also communicate directly with the LTB through the portal instead of regional inboxes that will be eventually decommissioned.
- Safeguards in place to address abusive behaviour.
- Convenience and simplicity for users to communicate with one another and with the tribunal through one system.
- Parties will be able to upload documents including evidence directly to the portal.
- They will also be able to see what information has been posted on the portal and when it was submitted.
- Easier for parties to submit documents to support their application.
- Convenience of uploading and viewing evidence online anytime and from anywhere.
- Parties will be able to digitally access and manage their files online 24 hours a day from anywhere.
- Faster and easier for parties to check the status of their matter.
|Real-time updates and receipt of decisions electronically
- Parties can receive updates in real time including tribunal decisions.
- Convenience of receiving decisions electronically and getting information on their file as it happens. For example, as soon as the file moves to the next stage, the portal is updated to reflect the change.
- Parties can request accommodation from the tribunal, for example because of a visual impairment, etc., as per their needs.
- Provides applicants the functionality to ask for accommodation and select the reason for their accommodation request.