Paying Money into the Landlord and Tenant Board

(Disponible en français)

Table of Contents


In specific situations, the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 (RTA) allows a party to an application to pay money into the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB), or a LTB adjudicator may also direct a party to pay money into the LTB. The money is held in the LTB’s Trust Account with the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) until the application is resolved.

If your landlord has applied to the LTB for non-payment of rent, you can stop your eviction if you make the payment required under the RTA.

Who can pay money into the LTB

A “payment-in” to the LTB can only be made if:

How to pay money

The LTB has a trust account with CIBC. A party’s payment is deposited in this account. A party must first obtain a “deposit slip” from the LTB. It has the LTB’s Trust Account number on it and the party will need to add their application number.

Step 1

The party must first get a deposit slip from the LTB or a designated ServiceOntario location.

You can send a request for a deposit slip by email at with your file number and “Request for Deposit Slip” in the subject line.

Step 2

Get a certified cheque, money order or bank draft in the amount that is required to be paid. You can also pay by cash at the CIBC branch.

Step 3

Take the deposit and your payment to any CIBC branch. The bank will do the following:

Step 4

After you pay at a CIBC branch, you must provide the date stamped deposit slip to the LTB as soon as possible. Do not wait.

You can send it to the LTB in the following ways:

Mailing your deposit slip may take longer than other service options to update your file information.

If the stamped deposit slip is submitted to the LTB after the eviction date, the LTB may not be able to stop your eviction.

Information for tenants

Stopping an eviction for non-payment of rent

If your landlord has applied to the LTB for non-payment of rent, you can stop your eviction if you make the payment required under the RTA. You do not have to get the LTB’s permission to make this payment.

If you can, you should make the payment as soon as possible because you may have to pay more if you wait. For example, if you wait until your landlord has filed your eviction order with the Sheriff’s Office; the LTB may add your landlord’s Sheriff’s costs to the amount you have to pay to stop your eviction.

If you pay the money you owe your landlord into the LTB, it will stay in the LTB’s Trust Account until a decision is made about whether or not you made the payment required to stop your eviction.

Important: The money you pay into the LTB for rent and any other costs the LTB has determined that you owe your landlord, will be paid to your landlord. This is regardless of whether or not you paid enough to stop your eviction.

It is important that you file the stamped deposit slip with the LTB immediately after paying at the CIBC. If you wait too long, the Sheriff’s Office may evict you before the LTB knows you have made your payment.

Payment-in on a tenant maintenance application

If you have filed a maintenance application with the LTB, you can ask the LTB to let you pay some or all of your rent into the LTB. However, if you want to make this type of payment, you must get the permission of a LTB adjudicator.

Once you file your maintenance application, you can ask permission by filling out a “Request to Pay Rent to the Board on a Tenant Application about Maintenance” form which is available on the LTB’s website.

You can also ask the LTB adjudicator for permission to pay into the LTB during your hearing.

Important: If you are allowed to pay into the LTB, the payment made to the LTB is considered as if it were rent that you paid to your landlord. However, if you don’t make the full payment to the LTB and don’t pay your landlord, any amount not paid would be considered arrears of rent and your landlord can start the process to evict you for non-payment of rent.

Payment directed or ordered by an adjudicator

Sometimes a LTB adjudicator will give a party a direction or order that tells a party to an application that they must pay money into the LTB. The party will be told:

If you don’t pay the full amount on time, the LTB adjudicator may refuse to consider the party’s evidence and submissions.

Contact the Landlord and Tenant Board

This brochure provides general information only. For more information about the law, or to obtain copies of the LTB’s forms and publications, you can:

Call us:
Toll free: 1-888-332-3234
Toronto area: 416-645-8080
TTY: Bell Relay Service at 1-800-268-9242 Visit our website at
Map a solution to your dispute: Navigate Tribunals Ontario