Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question about the CFSRB, call 416-327-0111 or 1-888-777-3616.

If you file an application or appeal, a case processing officer will be assigned to your file and will be your main contact at the CFSRB. If you have questions about your case, call your case processing officer.

Case processing officers can explain to you how to fill out forms, what information the CFSRB needs, and how long steps in the process normally take. However, case processing officers cannot:

  • give legal advice
  • recommend a lawyer or paralegal to represent you
  • tell you what words to use in your documents
  • tell you what to say at a pre-hearing, mediation or hearing
  • tell you if you have a good case or what the outcome of your decision with the CFSRB could be

You do not need a lawyer or paralegal. If you choose to have a legal representative, the lawyer or paralegal must write to the CFSRB to confirm that he or she is representing you.

You may also choose a person who is not a lawyer or paralegal to represent you. For information about who else may act as your representative see the Practice Direction on Representation before the SJTO.

In either case, your representative will communicate with the CFSRB on your behalf, including during the hearing, if there is one. However, you will still have a chance to tell your story to the CFSRB when you testify.

In some cases, the CFSRB will set up mediation. If all parties agree to take part, a CFSRB member will act as a facilitator to help the parties reach an agreement.

There is no filing fee but there may be other expenses like fees to pay witnesses for attending. Because we hold hearings and mediations on weekdays, you may need to take time off work to attend.

Yes, the parties must comply with a decision of the Child and Family Services Review. The decision cannot be appealed.

Decisions of the Child and Family Services Review Board cannot be appealed. However, in limited circumstances, you can request a "judicial review" from the Divisional Court.

The Divisional Court's decisions are available on the website of CanLII, the Canadian Legal Information Institute. You may want to get legal advice before asking for a judicial review.

For answers to other common questions, see the Application and Hearing Process.