As part of Tribunals Ontario’s commitment to access to justice, the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) is expanding access terminals to three more hearing centres in Ontario.
Starting June 21, LTB parties who do not have access to a telephone, computer and/or the internet may be accommodated in the Hamilton, London and Ottawa hearing centres to participate in their virtual hearings. Access terminals opened at the Toronto hearing centre on February 1, 2021.
Parties who have received a Notice of Hearing can contact the LTB to make a request for access to the terminals at any of these hearing centres. The LTB will evaluate each request on a case-by-case basis and respond to the parties with its decision to grant or deny the request. If the request is granted, the parties using the terminal will participate in their hearing electronically.
“Access to justice includes access to technology. We remain committed to supporting LTB parties who do not have the necessary technology to participate in their proceedings by expanding access terminals across the province”, said Sean Weir, Executive Chair of Tribunals Ontario.
Tribunals Ontario is also actively working towards introducing these terminals to additional tribunals in the Fall of 2021.
Tribunals Ontario is committed to safeguarding the health and well-being of staff, and Ontarians, and has implemented safety protocols and enhanced cleaning at the Hamilton, London and Ottawa hearing centres. Everyone entering a hearing centre will be required to complete an on-site COVID-19 screening assessment before entry and must adhere to all safety measures inside the hearing centre. Individuals who are deemed inadmissible through the screening assessment will not be permitted entry. Front-line counter services remain closed until further notice.
Tribunals Ontario will continue to monitor COVID-19 developments and will update our practices and procedures based on advice from the Ministry of Health, Chief Medical Officer of Health, and public health officials.
- Access terminal hearing centres:
- Hamilton: 119 King Street West, 6th Floor
- London: 150 Dufferin Avenue, Suite 400
- Ottawa: 255 Albert Street, 4th Floor
- Toronto: 15 Grosvenor St
- A party can bring two additional individuals into the hearing centre for the proceeding. If the party requires further support, they should ask the LTB before the hearing; such requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Everyone entering the hearing centre must complete a COVID-19 screening assessment and wear a face covering inside.
- The Tribunals Ontario Updated Practice Direction on Hearing Formats outlines Tribunals Ontario’s approach to determining the format of the hearing that will be held and how a party can request a different format.
- All selected hearing centres have undergone site assessments and all recommended safety measures have been implemented to ensure the safety of staff and tribunal participants.
- Tribunals Ontario Accessibility and Accommodation Policy
- Tribunals Ontario Updated Practice Direction on Hearing Formats
Tribunals Ontario Communications
Subscribe to Tribunals Ontario’s Latest News.