The OCPC has a broad mandate and may, on its own, or at the request of the Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services, the Office of the Independent Police Review Director (OIPRD), municipal council, or police services board, investigate, inquire into and report on various police matters. The OCPC also has a duty to ensure that:
- police service boards are providing sufficient oversight of police services in a manner that ensures adequate and effective police services in the community; and,
- police service boards maintain public confidence in the delivery of policing.
- Police officers;
- Chiefs of police;
- Members of local police services boards;
- Auxiliary members of a police service;
- Special constables; and
- Municipal law enforcement officers.