Important Notice

June 13, 2022

As part of our modernization initiatives, Tribunals Ontario offers most services electronically. Most applications and documents can be submitted online or by email, by mail or courier. Although our service counters are closed, the Landlord and Tenant Board continues to provide services to the public. Learn more.

Non-Profit Co-op Evictions

Who Can Apply

A non-profit housing co-operative (co-op) can apply to the LTB for an order to end a co-op member’s occupancy and evict them.

Before applying to the LTB to evict the member, the co-op must first:

  1. terminate the member’s membership and occupancy rights
  2. give notice to the member to end their occupancy

Co-op members cannot file applications with the LTB. Co-op members must bring their concerns to the co-op’s board of directors using the co-op’s internal dispute resolution process.

Filing (Co-ops)

To file an application, send an email with the completed application form (Form C together with either: C1, C1 and C2, C2, C3 or C4, depending on the reason for the eviction) and all supporting documents to:

A complete application includes a signed declaration from a person with authority to bind the co-op, which certifies that the member’s occupancy rights were terminated in accordance with the Co-operative Corporations Act.

There is a $201 fee to file the application. Co-op applications can be paid through the online payment portal prior to filing it by email at A copy of the payment must accompany the application.

There is no fee to file Form C4.

Notice of Hearings

After receiving the complete application, the LTB will schedule two hearings: a case management hearing and a merits hearing. The LTB will send the Notice of Hearings to the parties at least 10 days before the case management hearing. The LTB will also mail a copy of the application to the co-op member.

Filing a Response (Co-op members)

** Before starting the LTB process, the co-op must complete its internal dispute resolution process. The process includes a board of directors hearing and a notice of eviction decision. See your co-op’s by-laws for more information. **

If you’ve received a Notice by the Co-op to End your Occupancy you can choose to:

  • move out of the unit
  • dispute the notice, if you disagree with it

If you want to dispute the notice, the co-op will have to apply to the LTB to evict you. Once you have received the co-op’s application and Notice of Hearings from the LTB, complete a Response Form.

The Notice of Hearing will have a date when you must file your response. You must file your response with the LTB and give a copy to the co-op before that date.

A Certificate of Service, signed by the person who delivered your response to the co-op, must be filed with the LTB no later than five days after the response was delivered.

The Response and Certificate of Service forms may be filed:

If you do not respond to the application and do not attend the case management hearing, the LTB may decide the application without you and cancel the merits hearing.

For more information, read the Practice Direction on Applications Involving Non-Profit Housing Co-operatives. The practice direction describes the LTB’s process for hearing and deciding applications made by co-ops. It also provides guidance about what the LTB expects of parties at the hearings and what the parties can expect of the LTB.

Other LTB rules, practice directions and guidelines that apply to co-op applications can be found in Rules, Practice Directions and Guidelines.


Helpful hints for using these forms:

  1. To view, print or email these forms, your computer needs Adobe Reader. You can download this free software from Adobe’s website.

  2. Exclamation mark Save the downloaded form onto your computer and open that copy in Adobe Reader. Do not complete the forms in your browser. Some browsers will not allow you to complete or save your form.

  3. There are two types of forms: forms that allow you to save the information you enter, and forms that don’t.

    • Forms you can save: You'll see a message like this at the top of the form.
      Please fill out the following form. You can save data typed into this form.

    • Forms you cannot save: You'll see a message like this. You'll need to print your completed form.
      Please fill out the following form. You cannot save data typed into this for. Please print your completed form if you would like a copy for your records.

All applications must include form C and along with C1, C2, C3 or C4, depending on the reason for the eviction.


You may request a fee waiver if you meet the financial eligibility requirements in the Practice Direction on Fee Waiver. To request a waiver, complete the Fee Waiver Request.

Application Fees

Administrative Fees


If you have questions about the LTB’s procedures for non-profit co-op evictions or about your file, call us at 416-314-7061 or toll-free 1-844-288-7221, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Or you can email

The LTB does not provide information about the rights and obligations in co-operative, non-profit housing. A co-op or co-op member can contact the Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada.

Learn more about your rights and responsibilities and the LTB’s processes, using our online tool: Navigate Tribunals Ontario.

If you want to hire a lawyer or paralegal, see Getting Legal Help.